Introduction” Sham Sum Fook ” responds to the home care needs of the older persons with the concept of Community Oriented Mutual Economy. The concept of the project is to recognize and respect the ability, value and potential of the older persons, to believe that they have the ability to develop and change, and to build a platform for mutual support in the community. The project was co-organized by the active older persons of Sham Shui Po District and PSC in 2021. The concept of “time banking” is introduced to allow the older persons to exchange their time to serve others and the time of service can be saved as credits so as to swap for services when necessary. They can use the credits to exchange home care services, professional support, learning courses and in-kind items. As the beneficiaries, the older persons can also use their strengths to become the supporters of others in this Project. The Project is self-funded by the People Service Centre.
- Strengthen the confidence of the older persons in aging gracefully at home.
- Utilize the potential of the older persons, enhance their self-value and community awareness.
- Promote community mutual aid and explore new models of community care services.
- Volunteer members: aged 18 to 64
- Basic membership: residents of Sham Shui Po District aged 65 or above or residents of Sham Shui Po District under the age of 64 with special service needs.
Service DistrictThe pilot project is currently being implemented in Nam Cheong Estate, Fu Cheong Estate and Tai Hang Tung Estate, and will be extended to other areas in Sham Shui Po after the trial is successful launched.
- The concept of “Time Banking” is used
- The plan respects everyone’s uniqueness, affirms everyone’s ability and contribution, and emphasizes that any contribution is equally valuable, every minute counts as a credit for any service they render.
- Members can accept help from others with dignity and respect.
- Let the neighbours accountable to one another in a group format, and regain neighbourliness and pride in the community .
- The “credit donation system” endows time credits with a more deeper meaning of life.
- “Time Banking” Diagram Chart
- “Time Banking” Content
- Daily support: home maintenance, shopping, handling and explaining documents and letters…
- Nursing service: escort to medical appointment, measure blood pressure and blood sugar, pushing a wheelchair…
- Special skills: hair cut, clothes mending, gardening…
- Center activities: class activities, health checks, outings…